Google+ Followers

Monday, 23 April 2012

Brinsley Headstocks

This week we didn't travel to far, in fact just across the border into Nottinghamshire. We wanted to have a look around the Brinsley Headstocks which is just a couple of miles outside Eastwood.
We parked in the Brinsley Headstocks Heritage Wildlife Site car park. There were a lot of signs in the car park relating to theft from cars and we were slightly concerned.
It was a short walk up to the old headstocks and very impressive they are. The area of Eastwood is thought to have an association with coal mining for some 700 years up until 1985 when mining in the area ceased with the closure of Moorgreen pit.
The mine in Brinsley stopped production in 1934 when the coal reserves were exhausted, although the mine shafts remained open for another 36 years to provide access to neighbouring pits.
The Brinsley Headstocks were removed from the site in 1970 after 98 years in service and taken to the National Coal Museum at Retford. They were returned and re-erected on the original site in 1991 when the Coal Museum closed. The site then became, along with the old mineral railway line, a picnic and leisure site.This was the colliery where the father of D.H.Lawrence worked, and where scenes from the film Sons and Lovers were shot in the 1960's.

Ike reading the notice board.
There was about 6 of these sings in the car park.

The refurbished headstocks

We had a good rummage around there before setting off across the fields towards Moorgreen Reservoir.
Steps and bridge from the headstocks area.

Ike and Geoff 
This was an odd crop which we couldn't quite identify.
 The Moorgreen reservoir was built around 1796 as a water feeder source for the Nottingham Canal and is perhaps best known as one of the locations used by local lad D H Lawrence in his writings. It was ‘Willey Water’ in The ‘White Peacock’ and ‘Nethermere’ in ‘Sons and Lovers’. The drowning tragedy in ‘Women in Love’ was also set here and was based on an actual incident at the reservoir in 1892.

The overspill from Moorgreen Reservoir.

Is this the 3 wise men or three 3 brass monkeys?
This structure is in Colliers Wood.

Colliers Wood, created on the site of the former Moorgreen Colliery, is a community wood. The wood has been designed to restore the woodlands and fields which existed before the mine was developed. The woodland and the adjoining industrial land were created through a restoration scheme during 1996-1997. The site was seeded with wild grasses and flowers. Hedgerows and thousands of trees were planted and two ponds created which will become valuable habitats for wildlife. An extensive footpath network has been created using reclaimed shale from the site. 
Moorgreen Colliery was established in 1865 and closed in 1985, the last in the area to do so.
Originally it had two thirteen foot diameter shafts 286 yards deep, one to work bright coal (Deep Soft) and one to work hard coal (Deep Hard).
Coal production commenced in 1871 then in 1880 a fire destroyed the headstock and winding rope of the upshaft which temporarily halted production
In 1907 an electric plant was installed at Moorgreen to supply power to all of the Eastwood Collieries. 
In 1963 production reached 1,000,000 tons but a gradual reduction in manpower and production continued, until in 1981 the 1,225 men at Moorgreen were only producing 700,000 tonnes of coal from the Blackshale Seam, even at this reduced capacity Moorgreen's output was still roughly equivalent to the total 1890's production from all the Barber and Walker pits put together.
By 1985 the seams were exhausted and the pit closed. It is now an industrial estate and Colliers Wood Country Park.

Geoff has some black & white photos of Moorgreen Pit from 1964

One of the wildlife ponds on the site of the former Moorgreen Colliery. 
We followed this old railway track bed for a while but as Rob says with all this water about its more like a canal.

This style was in the corner of a field, no fence just the style.

Geoff was glad to get over this last style of the day.

Back in the car park and relieved to see Robs car still there.
There's a lot more to see in this area and we will have to return for another look around.
See you next week

Monday, 16 April 2012

Robin Hood's Stoop

This week, everyone back from holidays etc we thought a nice gentle stroll would be the order of the day.
Geoff had found a reference to Robin Hoods stoop on an ordnance survey map so we decided that was the target for this Sunday.
We set off from Belper at 6:30am, it was pretty cold but sunny. There was no traffic to contend with and the drive through Chatsworth Park was just great. The deer were a bit closer to the road than usual and lovely to see.
We parked on the Leadmill bridge just outside of Hathersage. The footpath took us alongside the river Derwent.
Rob in the early morning light
We passed lots of sheep and lambs, some running off while others coming to have a look at us. As we went further along the riverbank the footpath became a bit muddy and Geoff had just cleaned his boots.
Geoff disappearing up the muddy footpath
Nice little wooden bridge
One of the many Ba lambs (AHHHH)
 When we got to the stepping stones we turned left and headed up the hill, but Geoff just had to go wandering over the stepping stones first.
Geoff checking his boots are waterproof!!!
Couldn't resist photographing this tree.
 The climb up the hill was giving some superb views over towards Bamford Edge and Winhill.
Part of the Offerton Hall  buildings

Ike & Rob deciding whether to take the high road or the low road.
 We just followed the track past Offerton Hall and carried on until it levelled out a bit.
Offerton Hall with Winhill on the left and Bamford Edge on the right.
Ike had a bit of bother with his camera battery but soon sorted it out.
Ike doing emergency repairs on his camera.
 The track began to slope down and we spotted the stoop surrounded by a small fence. we had to walk a bit further down the track until we reached a gate to get into the field where the stoop was. Did a few pics then back to the gate and settled down for some breakfast.
Robin Hoods Stoop is whats left of an ancient wayside cross. Unfortunately the top is missing and the structure had to be stabilised in 2008 to stop it falling over.
(The fence has been digitally removed just on this photo)
This is whats left of Robin Hoods Stoop.
After breakfast it was downhill for a while 

 Some cracking views on the way back, it was all along a single track road with a good surface.

The hill at this point is quite steep but these cyclists just came up it with no trouble at all.
More lambs
Even more lambs
Hathersage Church.
 Little Johns Grave is in the churchyard which is just over  a mile  from Robin Hoods Stoop (As the crow flies) 
Bamford Edge
Hathersage with Stanage Edge behind.
Leadmill bridge.
It was a lovely morning, cold but crisp & sunny, we got back to the car and back early for a nice cuppa at brother Robs.See you next week

Sunday, 1 April 2012

Ramble Around Derby

We didn't want to go far this morning so we decided on a trip down the road to Derby to have a look at this hydro development.
It was -2 deg when i left home at 6:50 and got to 16 on the return.
We parked just off Handysides St. and walked past St. Mary's bridge and along the river past the council house.
I'm just adding a load of pics today for you to have a butchers at.
Just thought this was a nice reflection of the bridge
2 for the price of one.
I wondered where the Ram had gone
The Smithfield. The landlords name on the door is Mr. R Myring and someone told us it was Roger!!
The hydro development on the left.
I often wondered where the old Coop cow went.
Another view of the Hydro development.

The cathedral, Jury's Inn and the Museum tower
Derby Quad
You just couldn't make it up!!!
What the hell is this all about.
Old & new

Roof tops over Derby Museum and art gallery.
Blacksmiths Yard
This door in Saddlergate has a date of 1675 on it.
Derby Cathedral and St. Mary's in the background.
Another fine gate at the Slug & Lettuce
Bonnie Prince Charlie

Derby Cathedral, we did spot the Peregrine Falcon
There was one event that must be mentioned, when we were settling down to have our breakfast a dog came bounding up the track and before you could blink an eye it had eaten one of Ike's sandwiches. The dog was called Alfie,bow wow!!!
Breakfast stop in Allestree Park
What a relief
It took a while to realise this was stuffed.
Allestree Hall
There'll be one or 2 missing next Sunday so that's it for a couple of weeks